There are two types of Meaningful Use incentive programs. Please click on one of the programs below for additional information:
The Medicaid incentive program provides incentive payments to Eligible Professionals (EPs) that:
In Year 1:
- Adopt: Acquire, purchase or secure access to a certified EHR system. A signed contract is sufficient to receive the first payment.
- Implement: Installing a certified EHR system capable of meeting the meaningful use requirements.
- Upgrade: Upgrade to a certified EHR system or add new functionality to meet the definition of certified EHR technology.
In Years 2 – 6:
Demonstrates Meaningful Use for up to five remaining participation years.
Maximum Incentive Payments
EPs can receive up to $63,750 over six consecutive years.
*The last year that an Eligible Professional can begin participation to receive incentive payments is 2016.
For more information about the Florida Medicaid Incentive Program visit:
The Medicare EHR Incentive Program provides incentive payments to Eligible Professionals (EPs) who:
- Demonstrate Meaningful Use
- Use a certified EHR system
The last year to begin the Medicare EHR Incentive Program was 2014.
For 2015 and later, Medicare eligible providers that do not successfully demonstrate meaningful use will have a payment adjustment in their Medicare reimbursement:
- Deduction of -1% in Medicare Reimbursement in 2015
- Deduction of -2% in Medicare Reimbursement in 2016
- Deduction of -3% in Medicare Reimbursement in 2017
- Deduction of -4% in Medicare Reimbursement in 2018
- Depending on the total number of Medicare eligible professionals who are meaningful users under the EHR Incentive Program after 2018, the maximum payment adjustment can reach as high as 5%
For more information on the Medicare Incentive Program visit: http://www.cms.gov/EHRIncentivePrograms/
Sequester Impacts on the Incentive Program
Medicare payments will be reduced by 2% as a result of sequestration. This reduction will affect any Medicare EHR incentive payment made by CMS on or after April 1, 2013.
Source: Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services website.
For more information visit these helpful links:
- Florida Medicaid Incentive Program
- Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services EHR Incentive Programs
- Florida Health Information Network